Centers of Orthodox Christianity are Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth and Bethany. Bethlehem is located a few miles South of Jerusalem, Bethany - East. Nazareth is located in 100 km to the North of Jerusalem, close to the famous sea of Galilee. Pilgrims arriving in the Holy land, initially sent to Bethlehem, where visit the Church of the Nativity of Christ. In the wall of the temple niche designed marble, in which there are nursery, where according to the legend lay the infant Jesus. In Bethany for the visitors opened the Foundation of the house and the tombstone of the grave of Lazarus, the resurrected Jesus. The spiritual significance of pilgrimage in Nazareth is to visit the place where Jesus grew and later found disciples among fishermen.
Of course, the center of attraction of pilgrims is Jerusalem. In Jerusalem there are a number of objects of cult of fundamental importance. First of all, it is the garden of Gethsemane, who was a witness of mental agony of Jesus Christ. In the garden of Gethsemane grow eight-old olive trees, planted even in the times of Jesus. Here is the Basilica of the Passion inside of which - rock of the Passions of the Lord. Usually pilgrims prostrates himself before the rock, praying and remembering the passion of the Lord before he was grabbed by the Roman guards.
All the pilgrims arriving in Jerusalem, are on the Path of Tribulation 14 stops, connected with the last hours of the life of Jesus:
Jesus sentenced to death;
- Jesus takes up his cross;
- The Savior of the falls for the first time;
- Jesus meets his Mother;
- Simon Киринейский helps Jesus carry the cross;
Veronica's handkerchief wiping the face of Christ;
- Jesus falls the second times;
- The Savior of preaching the women of Jerusalem;
- Jesus falls the third time;
- with Christ take off clothes;
- пригвождение to the cross;
- Jesus Christ died on the cross;
- the Saviour's body is taken off the cross;
- the body of Jesus Christ lay in the tomb.
On each of the 14 stops pilgrims stop for prayer and reflection. At the end of The cross is the Temple of the Holy Sepulcher. This unique structure is there, where there were events that are associated with the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Church of the Holy Sepulchre is visited by pilgrims-Christians from all directions - the Catholics, the Orthodox and Monophysites, the Arians, Nestorians, the Protestants, the Copts.
Christian pilgrimage tourism is of particular importance in the life of society:
1) the spiritually-educational role (during the trip, the pilgrims will learn about the history of the places that they visit their role in the spiritual life of Russia; get acquainted with the peculiarities of worship, and the heritage of the saints, elders);
2) Secondary role (monasteries were and are cultural historical centers, on the territory of the many museums are reflecting a life and traditions of different historical epochs);
3) the missionary role (a trip to the Holy places contribute to воцерквлению many previously non-religious people);
4) a charitable role (during pilgrimage tours pilgrims are charitable material assistance and donations).
Specialized tourist firms offer a variety of pilgrimage tours. Special popularity and demand tours in Israel.