The most famous monasteries of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and Ukraine
1. Holy Trinity Sergius Lavra, stavropighial monastery. Founded by Sergius of Radonezh in 1337 g. (Moscow region).
2. Svyato-Troitsky Serafimo-Diveevsky female monastery in Diveevo (Nizhny Novgorod region), founded in the XVIII century. In the monastery relics of Seraphim of Sarov, who served in it.
3. Spaso-Preobrazhensky the Solovetsky Stavropegial monastery, founded in the XV century. (The Solovetsky Islands).
4. Holy Bogolyubsky monastery, founded in 1155 by Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky (Vladimir region). One of the oldest monasteries in Russia.
5. Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Valaam stavropighial monastery (Karelia). After its rebirth in 1989, the monastery lived on Valaam Charter.
6. Svyato-Vvedenskaya Optina Pustyn, stavropighial monastery, where rest the Holy relics of Optina elders (d. Kozelsk, Kaluga region).
7. The Kirillo-Belozersky monastery (Vologda region).
8. The Holy Dormition Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, stavropighial monastery (Ukraine, Kiev).
... previous page next page...